Planning a trip to Universal in Orlando? The perception is that Orlando is just for families but this is a great place for couples as well. Lots to do including excursions, shopping and excellent night life.
There are direct flights available from Ireland. A massive advantage as you clear immigration in Dublin! It takes approx. 2.5 hours to do this in the USA side. Remember to ask your trusty travel agent (#downetravel) to pre book your seats, if possible. Most long haul flights have their own personal TV with movies, music, games & kids’ activities. Great to keep the wee ones quiet! Long haul baggage allowance is 23 kg but you also have 10 kg hand luggage PLUS your hand bag.
Leave plenty of time prior to check in on both sides. At least 3 hours is advised.
- Early start? Save yourself a couple of hours, pre book your car parking and hotel stay at the airport prior to your departure. Not much more than paying for your car parking and you get a couple of hours extra sleep.
- Depart in style! Add in a lounge pass for Dublin airport. Sounds like an extravagant expense at approximate £25 per adult… BUT … you sit quietly in comfort while enjoying a range of soft drinks; tea/coffee; beer/wine and a range of snacks.
- Hand luggage: DON’T FORGET the 100 ml liquid rule. Liquids include gel, cream, paste etc. Liquids must be less than 100 ml and that means the bottle size must be less than 100 ml. You CANNOT take a larger bottle with less liquid in it. These items must be in a clear plastic bag. (You can purchase these at the entrance of the airports)
- To save you time & hassle, keep your hand luggage to a minimum; avoid wearing belts/jewellery etc as you will be asked to remove them & remember that shoes/boots will also have to be removed if they have heels.
- If anyone in the party has mobility issues or tires easily, pre book a wheelchair.
Universal Studios; Islands of Adventure & Wet & Wild
Universal Orlando Resort is more than a theme park. Definitely not just for kids!!!! It’s a universe of action and thrills featuring 2 theme parks. You can also experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Explore Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure, step inside Diagon Alley at Universal Studios and take a ride aboard the Hogwarts Express* to travel between the two magical lands. At both Universal Studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure every member of the family can share unforgettable experiences together. You can have the ultimate adventure, enjoy fun with your kids, eat wonderful food, challenge yourself on incredible theme park rides or relax by the pool in a beautiful Florida setting.
If you love Harry Potter, stay in one of the Universal Hotels (You get in an hour before its open to the public!)
Book dining options early – the popular restaurants can get busy
- Hire a buggy for your wee ones in case they get tired (Guests can rent strollers, wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV) upon entrance to either theme park)
- If you have a child that won’t or can’t do the ride, use the child swap facility
(This allows 1 parent/carer to sit in a room with child, other person does ride then you can join the ride afterwards!)
- Buy the tickets for the parks you want to visit – there are so many, it’s unlikely you will visit them all!
- Disabled access is fabulous – ask at Guest Relations for their Attraction Assistance & Express Guest Assistance Passes